Friday, April 1, 2011

April Fool's Blessing

April 1st. The nemesis of my happiness. The only day of the year that is intentionally set up to ruin peoples' day and make them feel stupid. And by "them" I'm referring to myself. I like being tricked, or "fooled," like a momma bear likes people messing with her cubs.

I do like seeing other people get it though. Like the year my sister-in-law handed a positive pregnancy test to my I'd-rather-cut-off-my-member-than-have-another-baby brother. *evil snicker* Or the year Google said they'd print off all our pictures for free with the "catch" of including ads on the back. Those stinkers.

Well I had an idea this year. I don't remember who came up with it, but it was several months ago, and I've been very excited to do it.

If you don't know, I'm due to have a baby tomorrow. I set my alarm to wake up at 2:30 this morning so I could post this on Facebook:

It's the ultimate "misplace your keys circumstance." Long story short, we didn't make it to the hospital. Baby was in a HURRY. And not a girl either! Healthy, hardy, Beck Hannity Holum was born at 1:12 am-- at home. We measure him at 23-1/4 inches. We're going to get some rest before heading to the clinic for weight and all that jazz. Please no phone calls for a bit :)

I even typed it up last night so all I would have to do is copy and paste it into my status and head back to bed. Did I mention I was excited? :)

But I laid in bed, restless. For one thing, I know how much I hate being duped. Secondly, have you ever heard the line from the movie Big Daddy, "We wasted the good 'surprise' on you!"?

In addition to that, I know my friends and family. And they're awesome. They'd be praying. They'd be planning meals. They would offer to help. They would look at sacrificially rearranging their schedules so my family could be cared for.

Around 1:30, I shut my alarm off.

God has put some incredible people in my life. I'm undeserving and selfish. Thank you all for sticking by me despite my quirks and junk :) I am SO very loved-- which isn't at all how I expected to feel on April Fool's day.

5 comments:

  1. Oh Laura, I can so picture you doing this! Thanks for making me smile this morning. This is way better than your original plan. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you would have said the baby was 12 lb. 18 oz. and 25", maybe they would have picked up on the joke. But, I'm glad you didn't wake up in labor today. However, I bet Alex is rooting for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, I'm glad you smiled about it :)

    Mom, that was my general plan-- to make the size unbelievable (hadn't thought of the weird oz idea :) ). I wasn't sure how to integrate that with a home birth though.

    Tomorrow is Alex's birthday, Rodney's aunt's birthday, and friend of ours' birthday. It's pretty popular :)

    And honestly, I don't want to ever "wake up" in labor again. That was terrible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I love the pregnancy test!! That was awesome. It still makes me chuckle every time I think of it. I am an Evil woman ;)


    That would have been funny for you to do :) But you are right, as you got phone calls though you could have done the 'April Fools, please don't tell the others yet' :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I giggle too Ness :) Every time :)

    ReplyDelete