Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Purpose of the Path

Tonight, I started reading Donald Miller's book "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years." I've always envied the simplicity and humor in his style. He writes like a sort of 'soul whisperer.' It's on everyone's level and honest. Not a harsh sort of honesty. It's presented in a way so as to surface things we tend to keep subliminal. His writing evokes a desire to look at things with a genuine grit to them. He has a way of adding "realness" to life, but without the hoity-toity, artsy depth that so many writers try to spin. It's refreshing and lovely.

Since Rodney went on a last-minute business trip tonight, I prepared for bed alone. And I thought about how much more I could do if I was on my own. I imagined the level of writing I could achieve without my family to attend to. Not just my literary dealings, but think of the music I could write. And I could read a Donald Miller book every week. I could study my passions and really utilize my giftings.

That was when I had an epiphany. It's the kind that leaves you embarrassed in front of your own self because it's so obvious and dumb. I realized that everything I even have to offer or write about-- my Story-- is about my family. It's what I know. It is the passion I have chosen to pursue. And sadly, it's only a season. I will not always have to pick Cheerios out of the seats of my mini-van or jelly beans out of noses. Nor will my children bolt for the door and turn to Velcro when I come home. I will not always hear the tender, wispy "Love you Momma" before turning off their lights before bed.

And when this season does come to an end, I will have my time. Perhaps I'll have less passion by then too. But if I don't have it, I won't miss it. I don't think.

The cheesy cliche of "Life is an adventure" is true. And I hate cliches. The paradox is that while every day is different, I sometimes weary of the repetition. But what I do now is gaining me a wealth of knowledge, maturity, hopefully wisdom, and writing material. God has given me what I have now, and I am content. More than that, I am blessed. Thank You.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only has God given you what you have right now, He's given you what you need right now. "God shall supply all your needs."

    ReplyDelete