Friday, December 3, 2010

Improving the Christmas Card Task

Christmas cards. They're more expensive than I'd like. They're boring to most people who receive the cards and a real drudgery to the people who loathe Christmas letters. It's an obligatory tradition we put on year after year so no one feels left out.

Despite all this, I really enjoy doing it. I like choosing pictures, crafting a letter, and pulling out my very long list of people I treasure. I also love to give things to people. Not that I'm generous necessarily (I'm working on it), but when the opportunity arises, I embrace it, and it amps me up.

When I'm going through my address list and writing out names on envelopes, it makes my heart happy. I think with special fondness about the people I haven't seen in many years. I know some of them really love me, and I get excited to send them a sliver of my life to catch them up.

It makes me feel loved to think about the people that I know care about me.

Yes, some of the people on my list are obligatory, and that's not as much fun :)

But yesterday, I was going though my routine of folding the letter, laying the card inside, and stuffing the whole lot into an envelope with a special name on it. And it occurred to me that I could help pass my time by praying for the person's name on the next envelope.

And I LOVE it!!!

It's just another tiny piece to add to the gift of a card, pictures, and letter that I get to send people.

I tell you all this for two reasons: First, if you get a card from me, then you KNOW that you've been prayed for at least once :) Second, I want to recommend it. It turns what can be a tedious task into a meaningful and enriching time. So give it a shot. You have nothing else to do during that time. And if you do, then you're too busy :)

It's just a thought, but what do you have to lose?

1 comment:

  1. That is such a wonderful idea. I think I will do this as well when I am sending out my cards. Thanks for such a positive thought. I just want you to know I love reading your blogs...you are such an inspiring person and you have made me laugh a time or two or three..... Just wanted to let you know that. I wish you a very merry Christmas and may God bless you and your beautiful family. Love you. Julie

    ReplyDelete